Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More from the Museum--Van Gogh and Hans Hofmann

Bedroom in Arles
Vincent van Gogh
1888
Van Gogh Museum, Amesterdam
August Light
Hans Hofmann
1957
Chazen Museum, Madison WI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Sunday afternoon trip to the Chazen Museum (which I still want to call the Elvehjem), brought me not only face to face with Mr. Rothko, but also, an old favorite, in Hans Hofmann.  Upon first glance this day, I couldn't help but see Van Gogh's "Bedroom in Arles" slightly re-imagined.  The depth of the Hofmann is amazing and, thankfully, there is a bench across from it which allows longer contemplation.  I felt I was looking into an ever-expanding world which would magically reveal whatever I dreamt up.  I saw a muddy green vase with yellow dendrobium orchids arching out of it.  I saw blue composition books piled next to the bed.  I saw a brown cat crouching on the covers, etc., etc.

2 comments:

  1. Jannette ~

    I love the Hofmann painting and I am so glad you shared some of your interpretations! You have made me view this painting through a completely new set of eyes! I now see blue steps leading to a dark blue door, people in robes forming a circle and whispering to each other, a tiny Santa Clause (as weird as this may sound, but I can clearly see his hat and beard) next to a blond woman... This painting is truly magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! (Clapping my hands)
    Glad that you enjoyed this and interesting to attempt to see other worlds here.

    ReplyDelete